Pages - Menu

Friday 16 December 2011

Holiday Journal No.3

My holiday is over and I did not get as many journals done while I was away as I had hoped but now I am catching up and here is my next one:

Next on my travels was Stellenbosch and Paarl which are the heart of the South African winelands.  Many of the wine farms, as well as having wine tasting, have lovely restaurants and eating areas.  La Motte is no exception but they also have an art gallery/museum, a farm shop and a hiking trail!  One of the exhibitions on show when I was there were modern tapestries by a French artist called Jean Lucat (1892-1966).  Wow, I thought they were amazing.  We had a fabulous meal at the restaurant, Pierneef, which is named after the South African artist Jacob Hendrik Pierneef.  The museum contains many of his art pieces (drawings, paintings and linocuts) which mainly depict South African scenery and architecture.  I was really inspired by his drawings which are often white drawings on a brown background.


Here are two of the tapestries by Jean Lucat which I absolutely love:


No comments:

Post a Comment